Adding an after-market intercooler to an LT 1

Thread archived from Facebook.

Been doing alot of reaearch but with not much joy, I have a 1G engine in my LT florida and would like to add an intercooler to harness as many horses as possible ! Has anybody done it to theres ? I know theres the ACL tdic parts which would fit but they seem to be like hens teeth. 

Torsten has done this - he is in the LT Florida group - but alone it won't give you any more power. To do so you'll need to follow these steps: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/how-to-make-your-2-4-lt1-faster_topic83910.html

I know it wont give anymore power with just the intercooler but with the fuel screw turned up a little charge temperatures are going to increase. Do you know if the ACL/ 1G inlet manifolds differ ?

Inlet manifolds differ between the 1g and ACL.

Theres the ACL manifold and then there's the Volvo one ... and then there's those, that have rewelded the intake into 2 L-shapes .. and then there's other approaches.

Intercooler helps the engine running cooler and brings fuel consumption a tad down, but doesn't really add power.

I'm running the NV (Volvo variant of ACL) engine and Volvo manifold. The double-L shape approach that others have done is way too restrictive and has a tendency to overheat. (Marlow)

Difference DV to ACL to Volvo is: different wastegate settings, bigger injectors, intercooler and Volvo then has more aggressive cam. DV and ACL run 0.9 bar boost. Volvo somewhere around 1.1 stock and boost kicks in earlier.

Intercooled inlet manfolds (ACL, D24TIC) are different from non-intercooled (1G, DV, D24T), yes. And since the ACL engine only was available from 1993-1996, opposed to the non-intercooled turbos, which were around from 1982? to 1993, those are thin on the ground.

What most have done is use a N/A manifold and welded the back side up and used the front side as the post intercooled air inlet, but it restricts the flow immensely and has heat issues. Let me find a picture form the Volvo manifold in my LT.

When cut in 2, L-pieces welded in etc. to fit an intercooler the NA manifold restricts flow and retains more heat. 

On the non-turbo DW and the turbo-engined DV, the inlet manifold is a straight through aluminium pipe on the right hand side of the engine.

The traditional way of converting to intercooler has been to cut a piece out of that and to replace it with 2 L-pipes bringing 2 hoses to the intercooler:

This is a lot of hard work and very inefficient.

Find an out Volvo 940 with D24TIC instead and rob it for intercooler parts and injectors. Those things were build all the way to 98 or later.

As for 2 hoses one from the intercooler and one to the intercooler. That pipe below the inlet manifold comes from the turbo-assembly.

If you look at the picture of my D24TIC setup .. the pipe below the engine comes from the turbo, around the engine and then feeds into the inlet manifold from the opposite side, of where the ACL manifold normally picks up. So in between that goes the intercooler. 

Obviously, in that picture, I didn't have the intercooler fitted yet, so we just passed directly over the engine without going past the radiator to the front and back.

Due to space constraints, with the Volvo setup at least you can have one hose/pipe either side of the engine to the intercooler. 

WIth the modified N/A or DV inlet-manifold you'd feed both hoses to the front at one side and have only half the space.

The big difference with the ACL is, that the inlet pipe from the front actually comes through the wheelarch and not along the side of the engine. So there is much more space for intercooler piping etc.

If you get a chance to look under an ACL somewhere, look in the right hand side wheelarch. You'll see what I mean about the intake piping run in and out of that instead of inside the chassis rail, as the space in the chassis rail is needed for the OEM intercooler piping.

23004485_10158544774348682_5129024648324085399_o.jpg
2048 x 1155 - 215K
23120292_10212474905040177_1151749445947228749_o.jpg
2048 x 1152 - 264K
23004482_10212475059804046_4890943596593960819_o.jpg
2048 x 1152 - 175K
I have a history of camper van addiction: campervanman.co.uk